Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Talk at the UFT Delegate Assembly - Mulgrew was not as annoying as usual

That was the take of one of one delegate - in her second year of attending these meetings - a fairly young, new breed of activist who never saw Randi run a meeting. To me, Mulgrew can never match her in the annoyance factor and if you scratch most Unity people, they will concur.

There is certainly a lot to talk about the first UFT Delegate Assembly, Oct. 20 with the big news being the upcoming Klein's greatest hits: Releasing Teacher Data Reports. Funny, but Maria Colon who was chapter leader of JFKennedy high school spent years in the rubber room and had her career destroyed when she was charged with faxing a student record whose grades had been changed by the principal to a reporter - and she redacted the kids personal info. Can she get a redo?


James Eterno has a preliminary report at ICE:  REPORT FROM OUTSIDE DA

I was there with a few leaflets. The GEM closing schools meeting announcement for next Tuesday.
And my 15th anniversary Ed Notes which I only decided to do this morning at around 8am as a short ad for this blog but ended up writing a 2-sided 1300 word historical piece related to the history of Ed Notes (I'll put it up later.) Actually, since the 4th anniversary of ed notes online passed in August I've wanted to do this piece but the first DA of the year seemed to turn out the right time.

The Unity caucus leaflet had some funny stuff:

Klein breaks his promise to teachers.

I swear, when I read that I fell over. It was followed by:

As soon as UFT learned that Chancellor Klein was breaking his word that teachers' 'Teacher Data Initiative' reports would be confidential, UFT President Michael MulGarten drew together a [crack] legal team to take the Chancellor and DoE to court."

Well, that one just knocked me off my chair. Lucky I have a new carpet in my man cave that hides the blood. Why does that old joke keep coming back whenever I see the UFT leadership in action?
They are like the guy who murders his parents and pleads mercy on the grounds he's an orphan.

I know I don't have to tell readers of this blog why I was laughing so hard. But if you don't get it look for my more serious pieces coming up over the next few days.

I spend most of my time down stairs handing stuff out - since I can't get in watching MulGarten on TV is almost as much fun as the Shopping Channel, where at least you can get a bargain once in a while.

I expected some overcrowding and a bunch of new chapter leaders and delegate at the first DA trying to squeeze into a room that holds only 850 people (there are over 3000 delegates). They just don't want people to come back.

Usually people have to be shunted off to different floors and the hallways are crowded with people watching on TV screens. Real democracy at work. (This was tragic since there was no chance to get a banana. But I did get an apple and a green orange.)

A bunch of people were out there to hand out resolutions. I put some up here(Loss of Black and Latino Educators) and here(Rikers). When I went upstairs to go to the bathroom - you can't even get away from Mulgrew's voice in there, I heard a discussion about a strike over the data testing. I don't know where that came from but it gave Unity a perfect opportunity to waste time over useless debate and the meeting ended I hear without getting much done.

Well, some of you know my feelings about these resos. Let's say they get passed. The Rikers one did while I don't think they got to the other one. What will the UFT actually DO to get it released - and why haven't they done something up to now? I know, I know, I'm just a gripe. But I have no faith in asking the UFT to do anything. But if people want to try I support them.

As one delegate said to me, "Why do you waste your time here? This is totally dominated by Unity and pretty much a useless body." I agreed but also feel it is the only opportunity once a month where it is theoretically possible to have someone from every school. Ed Notes being there for 15 years is an established entity and there are at least some people who read it regularly. But it is also an opportunity to drive some traffic to this blog from my target audience- NYC rank and file teachers.

But it certainly not worth a lot of effort. I did go with Ed Notes and a leaflet advertising the GEM meeting this Tuesday (Oct. 26) on closing schools where GEM is trying to build a coalition of the 19 schools from last year and the new crop coming up. This is not an anti-Unity thing and even Unity people involved in these schools have been invited to share their experience. The appearance of such a group might force the UFT into some concerted action on school closings instead of the weak-kneed approach they have taken in the past. Not holding my breath or anything.

Anyway, I left before 5:30 to head over to Brooklyn where we are editing "The Inconvenient Truth Behind Waiting for Superman." My young delegate friend who thought Mulgrew wasn't as annoying got there about a half hour after I did and I reaped the benefit of the UFT Superman tee-shirt which they gave out at 6Pm for those lucky people who remained. She thought they should have put an RR for Real Reformer until I pointed out the UFT is far from being Real Reformers.



COMING NEXT: THE BATTLE OVER THE LITERATURE TABLE WITH UNITY HACK SANDRA DUNN-YULES.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Norm,

What did you think of the T-shirts? Did they remind you of anything?