Friday, March 24, 2017

Memo From The RTC: Chorus Line is A’Comin’


-->
Memo From The RTC: Chorus Line is A’Comin’
By Norm Scott

Monday night, with the “massive” snow storm beating down on us, I headed over to the Post Theater at Fort Tilden, home of the Rockaway Theatre Company to check out whether the cast of Chorus Line was rehearsing. Also to see what snacks were being served. And mother hen Suzanne Riggs, without a doubt, one of the most thoughtful people on earth, certainly delivered some fine snacks. I almost forgot to check out the rehearsal.


I don’t like to see too much of a rehearsal so as not to spoil thing when the show opens on Friday, March 24. So I stayed just long enough to get a bit of the flavor of a show I had seen in the original on Broadway, but it was so long ago, I had little memory of the details. Well, I don’t have to tell you that this cast, as vets of RTC full well know, is spectacular. Actors, singers and dancers – a stage loaded with them. And they are all so beautiful and handsome. Ahhh, youth. And oh those mirrors Tony Homsey and crew installed on an otherwise bare stage. Susan Warren and David Risley are directing, and there’s an awesome support crew that I will talk about next week, so we know every single aspect of the show is in good hands.

A friend called me the other day asking me to get her a ticket because she loves the music and never saw it on Broadway. So many people tell me that Chorus Line was their favorite show. You all know this will be special and popular. There are 9 performances over 3 weeks. www.rockawaytheatrecompany.org or call 718-374-6400.

Psssst. Don’t tell anyone, but I have a link to the wonderful video they showed at the RTC party last week reviewing the shows of the 2016 season. https://vimeo.com/208213080. Shhhhh!

When he’s not snacking at the RTC, Norm blogs at ednotsonline.com.

No comments: