Monday, March 11, 2019

TWTW: KidsPac, Face to Face With T. Rex - and I Didn't Bang a Gong

The Week That Was -- The past week was busy and intense.


Saturday - Mar. 2 -- the big Bernie rally at Brooklyn College after my early morning yoga class. It was good to be back on campus where I spent so many years - tuition free as an undergrad. How could we afford it then but not now? Bernie's speech was excellent.

Sunday, Mar. 3 - My 74th birthday. The day began with the Frank Caiati acting class at the Rockaway Theater, followed by heading into the city for a matinee of Kiss Me Kate, followed by dinner at a Greek restaurant nearby on 7th Ave and 57th St.

Monday - A free day of reading and hanging out.

Tuesday - Media event at the Museum of Natural History for the preview of T. Rex which included a panel with the curators, spending time at the exhibit - seeing those cute feathers on the baby T.Rex. Followed by a private one hour tour upstairs where they prepare the fossils. Always my favorite museum and the dinosaur area was a must see for everyone of my classes. I took each class there 3 or 4 times a year -- I never tried to see the entire place in one shot - I focused each time on a different area. They had worksheets for the dinosaurs and had to look for specific displays -- not the heaviest lifting but it provided some focus. I learned this time how much new info there is on dinosaurs.


I also did a visit to the evolution of man exhibit - which they have totally renovated with lots of info we didn't have when I used to go.

Then I went across the street to the NY Historical Society where I had a sandwich and took in the Hudson river exhibit - some of the paintings were delicious. There was also an excellent exhibit of political cartoons by Mort Gerberg. The last time I was there I saw Black Citizenship in the Age of Jim Crow but that closed on March 3.

Wednesday was a hot yoga day only. A long class and it took a full day to recover.

Thursday - back to the city for a 3 and a half hour interview by a professor who is writing a book on teacher opposition movements in three countries. Later that night it was off to the monthly book club.

Friday - Philadelphia flower show - we had an early morning rise to head for Brooklyn Botanical Gardens to catch the bus to the Philly flower show, which was an all day affair - we didn't get back home until 8 PM.

Saturday - another early rise to go into the city for Kidspac/Class Size Matters all day parent conference. A great day with workshops I attended on Opt-out and charter resistance. Plus some politicians. Kidspac has a great legislative agenda and I will be publishing it with videos of the event.






















No comments: