Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Bronx ATR Predicts Failure of Bronx Plans --- UFTJoins in as Distraction from Real Problems

I was talking today to some teachers about the idea that most of us went to our neighborhood schools through high school. And most teachers spent their entire careers in one school - all this was destroyed by BloomKlein. Here is a wise comment along these lines after I posted about the Bronx Plan, where by the way, all Queens schools happen to be in Rockaway.

Bronx ATR has left a new comment on your post "Caranza's Folly - Bronx Plan Schools Announced - $...":
I’ve met plenty of ATRs with those licenses and I’m sure this incentive isn’t truly open to them. This plan is ridiculous on several levels. Teaching for me (and most teachers I’ve known) is a vocation. A monetary incentive denigrates it to a job - something unpleasant you do only for money. This will not encourage stability in those schools or neighborhoods - it will do the opposite. I started my career in MS 301 then called JHS 120 - many of the teachers there attended it as kids and were originally from the neighborhood. I also grew up in the neighborhood - still one of the poorest and worst in the country. The older teachers there were teaching the grandchildren of their first students. Back then most teachers stayed in the same school they started, for their entire career. I ended up getting excessed and was placed down the block in Jane Addams. I had some of the same kids I taught in 120 as high school students. Many of the teachers back then still have lifelong friendships with their former students. Bloomberg ended these neighborhood schools with his business model. The business model destabilized not only the schools and their staffs, but also the heart of what a teacher should be. It created detachment in all facets of school governance and interpersonal relationships. That the Uft would present this, in the last contract, is an example of how oblivious they have become to the nefarious reality that Bloomberg has created. I don’t believe the chancellor actually believes this has any chance of working, it is just a façade. Otherwise, he actually is what the Post called him today - “a total pathetic twit”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norm, what on Earth is going on with your anti robot software? I tried to post a comment and I had to click on the buses and the crosswalks about 25 times and it just would not let it go. And, is an accessor ride van the same as a bus? I said no, does that disqualify me? Frankly, I like to post here but if it takes me 20 minutes, then I'm afraid you will have to do without my scintillating marginalia.

ed notes online said...

I have no control over that crap. I have to do the same to post on other blogs.