Monday, November 7, 2011

On the Dreaded D's and U's: Discontinued and Unsatisfactory

Many people are not aware of the total power handed to principals to kill an untenured teacher's career by giving them not only a U rating but also a Discontinue which blacklists the person in the computer system and prevents even a principal who wants to hire that person from doing so.

Do you think there are psychotic - or worse- principals in this system who might D someone because of prejudice against a person's sexual orientation or religion (I know a wonderful teacher who is a Muslim and also a friend of the chapter leader who was D's and can't work)? The DOE has handed all too many people a loaded career-killing gun while the UFT hides under the rug (go ask the UFT which will "represent" a teacher with a D at a hearing that even they will tell you they never win).

I mean why give one person the power to stop another principal from hiring them? Even if you think a person should get a U why not let them work elsewhere? What can account for this other than pure vindictiveness? I know of cases where the teacher did not know enough to bow and scrape properly (in one case the CL asked the teacher to beg but she just couldn't do it - I know, some of you are saying do anything - I guess that is the mentality wanted in today's teachers - the ability to lose all self-respect while also trying to get kids to respect them - sorry, I believe they don't go together.)

Let me point out that tenured teachers cannot get a D. But with so many untenured being extended to a 4th and even a 5th year (can they do this indefinitely? I hear YES!)  the D can hang over their heads for all those years. Last year around 50% of the teachers did not get their tenure. I'll bet the numbers are up this year as principals want to demonstrate how tough they are - can't you see their stats being examined? In other cases we saw the district superintendent over ruling principals. Funny how principals who are ogres, psychos and losers get support for chopping teachers but not when they support teachers.

On ICE-mail there was a question asked about the U vs Blacklist though it is not clear whether the writer understands the impact of the Dreaded D which is a real blacklist. Given Jeff's response below I want to point out that D's are not given for disciplinary reasons but for any reason the principal wants to come up with - like not liking the color of a person's tie - which will be backed by the DOE hearing officers - I mean why should a principal be subjected to having to look at an ugly tie?
Perry Mason writes:
Is there an official policy of U-Rating= Blacklisted? If so... is it in writing somewhere?
Has any court passed on the legality of this?!? Would this be the case for probationers only?
Say, for example, a tenured teacher got a single U-rating and then retired. Would he/she be eligible for further employment... for instance: to come back as a substitute? Or is one banned for life?
If so, does the ban extend to the state? Or just the city? And again: this is *legal*?
Hard to believe.
Jeff Kaufman clarified.
There seems to be a little confusion over U ratings and licensing (and/or certification). First there is nothing automatic about U ratings leading to anything except loss of salary step (if below step 8) and per session eligibility (although this doesn't seem to be universally enforced). License
revocation can only take place after a hearing (3020a for tenured or probation dismissal for non-tenured). I have never heard of a blacklist although there is an ineligible list which prevents new employment in the NYCDOE system after separation from DOE for disciplinary reasons.

If, after a 3020-a hearing you are dismissed your license (New York City) and certification (New York State) will prevent rehiring as a certified teacher. Dismissal on probation will not necessarily provide a state-wide ban unless you are provided a hearing. The DOE takes the position that placement on the ineligible list does not require a hearing since there is an appeal mechanism.

Remember dismissals on probation are appealable to both the DOE and the Courts but the standards of appeal and time limits are very different.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
=============
Check out Norms Notes for a variety of articles of interest: http://normsnotes2.blogspot.com/. And make sure to check out the side panel on the right for important bits.

12 comments:

Scarlet D'd Girl said...

This is what my new blog is all about, my diary and experience of my discontinuance.

**FYI. This is not to make people feel sympathy for me. My main points for creating this blog are for the readers to be aware on how many teacher evaluations are based on 'subjective and arbitrary findings'.
Second, I happen to have an extremely humorous personality and even though this was a dark side in my life, I want to make the readers aware that there IS LIFE on the other side and there is a way out.
My last point that that I want my readers to be aware of is the author's "Letter D" has slowly been getting undone. There is a way but it involves a lot of pushing, sticking to your principles and putting yourself in positive situations where you are NOT destined to fail.

http://scarletdgirl.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I recommend that the work of the DOE's Office of Appeals and Reviews be thoroughly reviewed.

Here's something that took place when James Stein headed the office in the 1990s:

http://www.nycsci.org/reports/10-91%20OLSHAKER%20RPT.pdf

Anonymous said...

This is something that I have NEVER understood about the DOE NYC: the utter vindictivenss displayed in ending a new or tenured teachers' career, through the dreaded "D" or the "U" ratings system.

For what purpose would the DOE want to effectively end anyones' possible chances for future employment as a teacher, other than in proven and substantiated cases of child or sexual abuse, or gross negligence?

We keep hearing that NY has a problem retaining teachers - yet, the system does all in its' power to drive away people that want to be teachers and in good faith, make their best efforts to educate in spite of the many hurdles and difficulties that teachers face each and every day in the classroom.

I'm not one to believe in conspirracy theories, but it does seem as if the current trend is to hire people, use them for the three years or so, than dismiss them, only to hire a new crop of teachers to replace them. For older, tenured teachers- build a case against them, so that younger ( and cheaper ) teachers can be hired.

How is this cost effective for the city, or beneficial to the education of the NYC students in any way?

Apparently, our "Education Mayor" is more concerned about the short term dollars and cents of it all, and not concerned about the long term effects his policies will have on NYC. Shielded by his billions, he will go on to do whatever he wants. Not so for those that have suffered the loss of their careers, gained through long training and certification processes that aroused the ire of those faux "Principals" and administrators groomed under the Bloomberg system to destroy them.

Simon Says to . . . said...

As a discontinued teacher, I completely understand the experience. I find that principals have too much and little is done to check and balance it. Principals know they have a better union than the UFT and know that teachers have little protection, which solidifies their abused power.

It's an ugly game because someone controls one's bread and butter with a simple stroke of a pen.

Anonymous said...

This was my third year teaching. I received a D and an S the previous years. I was injured in early December and subsequently had to have 2 surgeries which prevented me from going back to work this year.
I had only 1 formal observation and a few informal obs from assistant principal. All of my observations were conducted within a 5 week period and were rated unsatisfactory. There were no comments about what was positive in the lessons. I was never given a chance to 'change' what they did not like in the lessons because I was not there.
I received a U this year and a discontinuance hearing(which I am told no one wins)....
I have changed the lives of many students. Many students have told me that I inspired them to stay in school and find direction in their lives. I have put in hundreds and hundreds of extra hours and never asked for per session.
This is not right.

Anonymous said...

I sadly am a victim of this D and U after my 4th year of working. I was foolish to be so trusting when I was told not to resign by a supervisor, the district representative and my own chapter leader. I didn't understand why in April I was getting letters in my file, never having a letter before. I am a good employee, dedicated to my work, deadlines, and being responsive to those around me. I am deeply saddened by my loss and emotionally distraught that I didn't know this would happen to me. If no one wins an appeal and no other district will hire me, what are we all suppose to do. Where do we go? Where do we go? Why is this allowed? I am a good employee. I am so saddened by my loss.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. Have you been able to continue working as a teacher? Are you still in the teaching profession?

A Brooklyn Teacher said...

My sentiment exactly. My degrees are in teacher education. What was the appeal like?. I don't know what to expect. How long does it take before you get a hearing date?. I filled my appeal back in June 2014. Now I waiting

Anonymous said...

I had hoped to become a teacher, but these stories shock and sadden me. It sounds as if one can be targeted for random and arbitrary reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with teaching or job performance. And no hope for you if you are randomly targeted. Is it like this in the charter system as well? We are told charters are evil, in part because of the lack of union representation. But it sounds as if the union is pretty worthless anyway. I am usually a great believer in unions - but if they let this kind of thing happen, what good are they?

A said...

Also, you do not get your license revoked though.... you just are blacklisted and cannot work in that district. It is also unlikely to be hired anywhere else in the DOE. I have however, heard of people being hired in charters after a discontinuance.

A said...

Also, you do not get your license revoked though.... you just are blacklisted and cannot work in that district. It is also unlikely to be hired anywhere else in the DOE. I have however, heard of people being hired in charters after a discontinuance.

Yesenia Lopez said...

Rating Officer lost his license.....UFT and DOE obstruct review of this....

I was in a school that has since been closed in the south central Bronx. Rating Officer went for blood....doing a 31 Circular R after recommending Discontinuance.
In the midst of this, Dennis Sanchez, had his license yanked...for allegedly engaging in conduct unbecoming a Teacher.
As part of his penalty....he was to be permanently relegated to work on a Teacher pay line....
At one point, he was made Bilingual Coordinator of District 5. (Teacher pay line)
NYSUT a nd DOE obstruct review of his licensure status...and I have heard he works as an Administrator in a Bilingual Program (which he was not supposed to do)
Can any one shine the spotlight on this?