Friday, October 27, 2017

Memo From the RTC: Rockaway Café – The Heat and the Beat Are Coming November 3


Published in The Wave, October 27, 2017

Memo From the RTC: Rockaway Café – The Heat and the Beat Are Coming November 3
By Norm Scott

Every so often I’ve popped into the rehearsals for the Rockaway Theatre production of the reprise of the John Gilleece directed Rockaway Café – Then and Now - which opens for ten performances on Nov. 3 over three weekends and one Thursday evening performance. I have such a small role that I don’t have to be at a lot of rehearsals but when I do drop by I have seen some spectacular dancing with choreography that pushes the boundaries of the dancers. While, as usual, there will be outstanding singing, this time the talent of the dancers and the work the team of choreographers have done will blow audiences away. There are five – count them – FIVE – choreographers. And we haven’t even seen the band load in yet.

Now I’d like to tell you the song list but I’ve been warned by producer extraordinaire Susan Jasper that I’d have to kill anyone I tell. Susan keeps everyone hopping with her daily emails. Getting 40 or more people to rehearsals at the right day and time 7 days a week is not an easy job and Susan cracks the whip with relish.

Performances are Nov. 3, 4, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 at 8PM and Nov. 5, 12, 19 at 2 PM. Tickets are $20, $15 for seniors. Call RTC Hotline: 718-374-6400 or www.rockawaytheatrecompany.org

No comments: