Monday, September 17, 2012

MORE Member Responds to E4E Contact - September 17, 2012

....E4E DEFINITELY has an ambitious agenda to build a "grass-roots" organization inside all the schools, a kind of anti-union union (I'd dare to call it fascist, truthfully). -- NYC Teacher/MORE member).
Interesting that they have the money to pay for full time Outreach Directors. Most other "grassroots" union organizers that I know are, oh, I don't know, busy during the day with teaching and such.-- Another NYC teacher/MORE member
Let me take a few minutes away from Chicago to touch base with our old pals. Keep an eye out in your school for these slugs trying to infiltrate their anti-union agenda into the schools.

The DOE is actively helping E4E get into schools with the idea of creating a Quisling anti-union force. E4E full-time organizers and money from DFER and Gates and HalfWhitney Tilson and support from Tweed.

I'm now hearing of E4E people running for chapter leader. And I have it directly from a top Tweed official that MORE is on Tweed's radar. With the Chicago story, Tweedies might be getting nervous if MORE should get some traction.

I also heard that certain UFT officials were suggesting that E4E run in the upcoming UFT elections. That would work for Unity in that another organization running would muddy the waters. On the other hand a group like E4E with loads of money might penetrate into schools with a subtle anti-union/Unity message. But it won't happen I predict. E4E would need a lot more than what they have to conduct an election campaign. And many of their supporters are not in teaching for the long run.

Here is an email sent to a teacher by an E4E organizer who was given the name by the principal -- what does that tell you?

"Hey girl, can I buy you a cup of coffee?" What's going on? Is E4E funding running don? They can't offer a sandwich?
Hi,

How are you? My name is ----- and I'm an Outreach Director with Educators 4 Excellence (E4E). My colleague and I recently spoke with your principal and she suggested that we connect. We would love the opportunity to buy both of you a cup of coffee and hear about you, your teaching experience and we can share a bit about E4E. We can meet you by your school or in your neighborhood – wherever is most convenient for you.
The teacher sent this message to the MORE discussion group:
I am a delegate at my school and I recently received this email, as did my chapter leader.

Just thought people might be interested in this. For some reason E4E was present during one of my principal's CFN meetings. Interesting that they have the money to pay for full time Outreach Directors. Most other "grassroots" union organizers that I know are, oh, I don't know, busy during the day with teaching and such. 
I think I'll just send a simple, direct email saying that having reviewed E4E's Declaration of Teachers' Principles and Beliefs we have no interest in pursuing a relationship with them. Might need to say more about why to fully satisfy my disgust, but I also don't want to "get into it" with this guy because there wouldn't be much point. Maybe I'll just ask if he can put me in touch with Karen Lewis instead...

One interesting note is that my chapter leader had never heard of them. I can see how inviting a personal email like this might seem to beleaguered chapters who are looking for someone "in the union" to listen. They really do an amazing job of painting themselves as people who are trying to give a voice to teachers. All the MORE reason we need to build a space for that to happen authentically!!
Another MORE member adds on:
They're definitely not in the union, so I'd start with that. I met these guys at the pre-screening for "Won't Back Down," as well as virtually all their other NYC folks. (One of them seemed honest, but while he's open to other, opposing points of view, even he admits he works with the group, so he's chosen that side for now.) One of the guys gave me the impression he's ready to take over the City with their agenda. And they DEFINITELY have an ambitious agenda to build a "grass-roots" organization inside all the schools, a kind of anti-union union (I'd dare to call it fascist, truthfully).
I see no reason to engage with them. They have tremendous resources and an army of eager organizers. They will definitely swarm near anything that smells useful, so have no illusions!

No comments: