to celebrate this as a win, is akin to the South declaring a victory during a skirmish in the closing days of the Civil War. This isn’t a win, it’s a tourniquet. It may stop the bleeding temporarily, but once gangrene sets in we’re doomed.
This blog by Opine I will is worth cross posting because it addresses my favorite topic, the actions of our union leaders. The link is: http://rlratto.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/another-nice-mess-youve-got-us-into/.
I hope this guy teaches in NYC and joins up with MORE. Look at the list of "wins."
Also see James Eterno at ICE: TEACHER RATING LAW LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER EMPTY UFT VICTORY
- We negotiated rubrics that will be used in teacher evaluations, yet many of these rubrics are untested.
- We agreed to test and re-test models to measure our own effectiveness.
- We stood by, while our students were subjected to 90 hours of testing.
- We’re embracing the Common Core Standards as a means to magically make our students college and career ready.
- We dare not exclaim Race to the Top, is really a race to nowhere, because politically we must remain loyal until November.
- We stand by while charters eat away at public education, and even at times support our own charter schools.