While my colleagues in MORE seem to view a loss in Friedrichs as a negative thing I don't totally agree. More on why in the future.
Union Democracy: A Life-or-Death question for the UFT
- Divisional vice-presidents (high school, middle school, elementary, functional) should be elected by those they serve, members in their respective divisions.
- The number of at-large members of the executive board should be greatly reduced and the majority of the executive board should be voted in by active members of their respective divisions
- The number of retiree members of the delegate assembly should be reduced and their election should also be on the basis of proportional representation.
- District representatives should be elected not appointed.
- Every issue of the NY Teacher and UFT’s website should be opened to every member’s viewpoints, with space available for the printing of statements both for and against ratification of proposed contracts.
- All caucuses who have met requirements to run in an election should be able to mail at least one piece of literature to all the members at union expense during election time.
- There should be an open microphone at all union meetings.
- Retirees should not vote for UFT officers, who are responsible for negotiating the contract for active members.
- Monthly UFT borough and district meetings open to all members to discuss and direct union policies.
- UFT officers and/or organizers will visit every chapter throughout the school year to listen to the concerns of their members, assist them, and insure there is a functioning chapter.