During the past few days, extreme violence has been used against teachers in Oaxaca, Mexico who were protesting governmental education "reforms." This has resulted in the deaths of at least eight people. The Network for Public Education joins with those condemning this violence and calls for a dialogue to resolve the underlying issues. We support the statement issued by the Civil Society of Oaxaca demanding that the government do the following:
- End the wrongful and disproportionate use of force and repression against the teachers who make use of their legitimate right to free expression and free protest.
- Establish a round table for dialogue with the teachers of Oaxaca.
- Provide medical attention for all persons injured as a result of the violent acts of the State.
- Stop the criminalization of the teachers by cancelling arrest warrants against members of the teachers' union of Oaxaca. Immediately release all teachers who have been arrested in an arbitrary and illegal way.
- Punish all persons responsible for arbitrary detentions, torture and other violations of Human Rights against members of the teachers' union of Oaxaca.
Paseo de la Reforma 305
Phone: ( 01-55 ) 5080-2000
Fax: ( 01-55 ) 5080-2005
Tel: (202) 736-1000 * Fax: (202) 234-4498
The Network for Public Education