Monday, December 7, 2009
Maxwell HS Community Fights Back Against School Closing
Join us to expose the injustice of school closures!
W.H. Maxwell HS (CTE), a career and technical school since 1951, would be 0.8 away from a B rating had it not been for the Mayor’s random changing of the cutoff scale. Expose the plans to make space for the mayor’s charter school takeovers.
· 4 year weighted graduation rate : 72.5 %
· In 2006, our physics students won 1st prize in the city’s science fair sponsored by Con Edison.
· In 2008, 21.66% of the seniors successfully tested for and received the HSTW Award for Educational Achievement – which also requires college preparatory classes in English, Math , and Science.
· Unlike Charter Schools, we don’t give up on any student: ELL (5%), Special Education (22% - double the average), and student moms (daycare services).
· Two current students serve as the President of the New York State Health Occupations Students Association (HOSA) and Senior Vice President.
· Our HOSA contingent made it to the National Competition last year.
· We have graduates who attend Cornell, NYU, SUNY, CUNY
· Our students get real educational experience with institutions like Brookdale Hospital, Jamaica Hospital, City Tech, Medgar Evers, Touro, Rainbow Inc.
· Our graduates have become Designers, Opticians, Physicians, Nurses, Medical Assistants, Engineers, Cosmetologists, Graphic Artists, Entrepreneurs, Advertisers, etc…check out our Face book page by searching “Maxwell Grads – we really need your support”
· In 2006, we received an F after being overcrowded from the overflow of other school closures. Who will be next when our students get crammed elsewhere?
Come voice your demand that Bloomberg and the Billionaire’s Club listen to the neighborhoods they claim to want to help!
There will be two rallies at W.H. Maxwell HS (CTE) - 145 Pennsylvania Ave, East New York, 11207. C train to Liberty Avenue station:
Wed: Dec. 9th parents/community forum – 6 pm. Rally at 4:30 pm.
Tues: Jan. 12th CEC/SLC/ DOE forum– 6 pm: open mike sign-up starts 5:30, ends 15 minutes after speakers start. Rally starts 4:30 pm.
For Further info, contact: Positivelypessimist