Friday, January 24, 2014

NYC Teachers at PS 8X Jump Into NYSUT Fray

It is time for NYSUT’s locals to unite against the useless behemoth of a local called the UFT and take steps to protect the hardworking teachers of NYS... A group of teachers at PS 8 in the Bronx.
I spoke with Andy this past summer and expressed my frustration with the lack of leadership on tackling Albany and the DOE head on. Andy's a peacemaker.  I'm a fighter... Roseanne McCosh, former chapter leader, PS 8X. 
Roseanne McCosh has been using the info we have been publishing here on the NYSUT story to share with her colleagues at PS 8X. She has been an Ed Notes reader and supporter since she was a chapter leader for many years. She also supported ICE. I'm not sure if I have even met her -- though I do think remember her from the DAs. She told me her school basically supported MORE in the election.

She took this action on her own without prompting -- true rank and file activism. How I wish there were thousands more like Roseanne. If there were we would have a very different union. As she writes below:
On a personal level I have a lot of good things to say about Andy. But this UFT/NYSUT situation ain't personal--- it's business, and I completely disagree with Andy on how vehemently we should be fighting those looking to eliminate teachers' unions and wreak havoc on the day to day conditions under which we must try to teach.
If you are so inclined, write your own school version or just use her template as a way to inform your staff as to what is going on and send a copy to me. One commenter asked for a pdf.

Norm,
I have written a letter to Iannuzzi that some teachers from my school have agreed to sign.  I will see if I can get more signatures next week.  Thus far the teachers below have agreed to my including their name on the Iannuzzi letter and submitting it you you (I described you as a blogger who is keeping us informed on the issue).  You have permission from those below to post this letter with our names if you want to.  ... Roseanne
Dear Mr. Iannuzzi,

As  UFT members we would relish the stranglehold the UFT has on NYSUT if UFT leadership was looking out for the best interests of its active teaching force.  But the sad fact is that they are not.  We have been attacked and abused for far too long by the NYC DOE and those attacks now come from Albany (Governor Cuomo) and Washington DC (Duncan et al).  

Now that the abuse is spreading to local unions, teachers in smaller school districts are starting to wake up and pay attention and make demands on their locals.  The influence that the UFT has on the decisions of NYSUT must be countered. Andrew Cuomo is not a friend to teachers.  Andrew Cuomo isn’t even close to being fair to teachers.  If Michael Mulgrew wants to support Andrew Cuomo, he should do so by writing a personal check.  We are certainly not the only UFT members who feel abandoned by the UFT.  It is time for NYSUT’s locals to unite against the useless behemoth of a local called the UFT and take steps to protect the hardworking teachers of NYS. 

Roseanne McCosh, UFT and NYSUT member
Theresa Miller, UFT and NYSUT member
Lori Matta, UFT and NYSUT member
Michele Bombace, UFT and NYSUT member
Cynthia Pacelli, UFT and NYSUT member
Kristin King, UFT and NYSUT member

Roseanne also sent along this background info in Andy Pallotta whom she likes personally.

I worked with Andy Pallotta when we were both Dist 10 chapter leaders and I continued as chapter leader while he was the Dist 10 rep. I am no longer chapter leader but I was replaced by someone strong and on the right side of the issues.  
On a personal level I have a lot of good things to say about Andy. But this UFT/NYSUT situation ain't personal--- it's business, and I completely disagree with Andy on how vehemently we should be fighting those looking to eliminate teachers' unions and wreak havoc on the day to day conditions under which we must try to teach.  I spoke with Andy this past summer and expressed my frustration with the lack of leadership on tackling Albany and the DOE head on.  Andy's a peacemaker.  I'm a fighter.  We disagree on tactics.  He had a VP from the UFT call me (For the life of me I can't remember her damn name)  and I was given lip service that the UFT was on top of this whole eval system.  I knew I was being placated and ended the conversation noting that time would tell how ahead of all of these issues the UFT would be in the months to come.
 

No comments: