Sunday, February 5, 2012

Community Education Council Town Hall on School Closings: Tues. Feb. 7, 6:45PM

Another sign of the Bloomberg control of schools leading to long-missing community action in communities affected, this time in East NY. The next step is to bring all these communities together, something the UFT has the ability to address but is not. And won't. One thing coming up on everyone's radar is the battle against mayoral control. Maybe that's why the UFT won't go there given Mulgrew's announced support for mayoral control as the best system --- for the UFT leadership (not the members).

And don't forget, the 2 UFT charter schools reside in this area, including my old junior high school, George Gershwin, which is on the closing list. (The only school I went to left open right now is PS 190 on Sheffield Ave.) I would charge that they are closing Gershwin to allow the UFT charter to expand but I believe the UFT, embarassed by its 2 co-locos, is getting its own building --- I think in some deal with Christine Quinn for a million bucks --- someone check this out for sure as I'm too lazy right now.

I'm going to try to make this Dist 19 (though I may have similar event to go to in Williamsburg) as I'll be going back to my home town. I grew up at 551 Alabama Ave. just 3 blocks away. I walked this route every day on my way to Thomas Jefferson HS (now closed and a campus) and whenever we took the train. We were a block away from the El and I could hear the trains run all night. Memories!

 
COMMUNITY EDUCATION COUNCIL 19/ TOWN HALL MEETING
DATE: TUESDAY FEBRUARY 7, 2012
 
TIME: 6:45 PM
 
LOCATION: 557 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE BETWEEN LIVONIA AND RIVERDALE AVENUE
 
TOPIC: EDUCATIONAL FORUM AROUND SCHOOL CLOSINGS AND FORCED TRUNCATIONS IN EAST NEW YORK
 
CONTACT INFORMATION: Erica Perez 1-347-323-1499

No comments: