Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Teachers Unite Sat. Feb 8: Restorative Justice and Teacher Unions: What are the connections?

I believe in the Restorative Justice model as an alternative to discipline models in schools. Teachers Unite is showing it can work.

People accuse me of living in a dream world - I've never supported suspending kids or placing all the blame on kids for problems in schools. You know the argument -- "if I could just get rid of the scumbags, as one teacher" recently told me. I'm not interested in blaming kids who are mostly victims. Believe me, I was as frustrated as anyone at times. I felt lucky that I was able to get over most conflicts with kids and restart the relationship. Generally I didn't have lots of trouble with kids but then again I didn't teach in the current climate so I do understand. I recently heard an NPR BBC broadcast talking about world-wide complainst about student behavior and where many commentors pushed for caning. I think RJ is a better choice.

Also a great chance to hear/see via Skype LATU Presidential candidate Alex Caputo-Pearl and Arlene Inouye who is currently serving in an elected position in the union and is running again. I believe there are 9 people running for President. The election is this month.

Teachers Unite did an excellent workshop on Restorative Justice at the More Than a Test Score conference last Saturday.

Restorative Justice and Teacher Unions: 
What are the connections?
 
How can organizing around restorative practices & social justice relate to union work at your school site?
 
A panel & discussion with Union Power Caucus of
United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA)
 
Saturday, February 8, 2014
Noon-2pm EST
 
Teachers College
525 W. 120th Street, NYC
1 | A | B | C | D to 125th St.
 
Facilitated by Dr. Lois Weiner, author, The Future of our Schools  
with panelists via Skype:
Alex Caputo-Pearl, Union Power Caucus Candidate for UTLA President
&
Arlene Inouye, Union Power Caucus Candidate for UTLA Treasurer
 
Hosted by Teachers Unite and Endorsed by the New York Collective of Radical Educators (NYCoRE) and the Movement of Rank & File Educators (MORE)
 
And on Facebook

No comments: