Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Teachers Unite Sat. Feb 8: Restorative Justice and Teacher Unions: What are the connections?

I believe in the Restorative Justice model as an alternative to discipline models in schools. Teachers Unite is showing it can work.

People accuse me of living in a dream world - I've never supported suspending kids or placing all the blame on kids for problems in schools. You know the argument -- "if I could just get rid of the scumbags, as one teacher" recently told me. I'm not interested in blaming kids who are mostly victims. Believe me, I was as frustrated as anyone at times. I felt lucky that I was able to get over most conflicts with kids and restart the relationship. Generally I didn't have lots of trouble with kids but then again I didn't teach in the current climate so I do understand. I recently heard an NPR BBC broadcast talking about world-wide complainst about student behavior and where many commentors pushed for caning. I think RJ is a better choice.

Also a great chance to hear/see via Skype LATU Presidential candidate Alex Caputo-Pearl and Arlene Inouye who is currently serving in an elected position in the union and is running again. I believe there are 9 people running for President. The election is this month.

Teachers Unite did an excellent workshop on Restorative Justice at the More Than a Test Score conference last Saturday.

Restorative Justice and Teacher Unions: 
What are the connections?
How can organizing around restorative practices & social justice relate to union work at your school site?
A panel & discussion with Union Power Caucus of
United Teachers Los Angeles (UTLA)
Saturday, February 8, 2014
Noon-2pm EST
Teachers College
525 W. 120th Street, NYC
1 | A | B | C | D to 125th St.
Facilitated by Dr. Lois Weiner, author, The Future of our Schools  
with panelists via Skype:
Alex Caputo-Pearl, Union Power Caucus Candidate for UTLA President
Arlene Inouye, Union Power Caucus Candidate for UTLA Treasurer
Hosted by Teachers Unite and Endorsed by the New York Collective of Radical Educators (NYCoRE) and the Movement of Rank & File Educators (MORE)
And on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome. Irrelevant and abusive comments will be deleted, as will all commercial links. Comment moderation is on, so if your comment does not appear it is because I have not been at my computer (I do not do cell phone moderating).