Tuesday, March 11, 2014

NY Times on Chris Pavone book

I've known Chris Pavone since he was 3 years old when his mom, Vera Pavone, brought him to a meeting of Another View in District 14, the beginning of a 43 year political and personal relationship with Vera and her partner at the time, Paul Baizerman. These were the guys who had the most influence on me politically and in many ways personally. I won't get into the weeds of what I learned from them -- and am still learning from Vera (Paul died 2 years ago). Vera is not only a political mentor, but also gardening, health and just about any other topic you'd choose -- except cats.

The work Vera has done in the true educational reform movement has impacted on everyone she has touched. We used to joke, "Vera knows everything." To me, her power of analysis -- her way of thinking and dissecting things has been a key and I view many things through that lens. One example was the problem I was having reviewing the Shanker bio for New Politics. I forced a reluctant Vera into the project and basically she did 75% of the work -- I'm very good at sloughing off responsibility.

Chris' 2nd book, "The Accident" has been getting extraordinary reviews (Chris Pavone's "The Accident" Gets NY Times Rave Review).

Today, the Times has another great article on Chris and the book.

Secret Agent, Book Agent, All the SameChris Pavone’s Thriller ‘The Accident,’ Set in Book World

I took note of these quotes:
He is also half of a formidable publishing power couple. His wife, Madeline McIntosh, is the president and chief operating officer at Penguin Random House and one of the industry’s most influential executives, often mentioned as a potential successor someday to Markus Dohle, the company’s chief executive.
------
Once again, Mr. Pavone decided to make a woman the protagonist, an element of his books that his publisher said had brought more female readers to the table.

“One of the things that’s inescapable about Chris is that he does women really well,” Ms. Stern said in an interview. “He understands something very true about highly accomplished women. And he’s obviously been deeply connected to a highly accomplished woman in his life.”
Not just one highly accomplished woman in Chris' life. His mom has been so important to so many people in her life.

Oh, and Vera's other son Joey deserves enormous credit for becoming a NYC high school teacher even though he had to sit through so many teacher meetings as a child.

Chris will be making an appearance Weds Mar. 12 - I can't be there due to rehearsals for Friday's opening of the play I'm in. Here is Chris' funny email. If you happen to be in Paris on March 27, check it out. But there are other places you can meet him and buy his book.

We ordered a copy and it should come today --

====

There was a time when I had dignity (at least, that’s what I told myself). But that was before I started writing novels, before I could imagine I’d ever send a note to EVERYONE I know saying something shameless like “My second novel The Accident goes on-sale tomorrow, PLEASE BUY IT, thank you.”

But that's not what I'm saying, which is instead: I'd love to see you at one of my events (dates, times, addresses below). Frankly I’d love to see any friendly face. Or, honestly, what do I care? Nonfriendly would also be fine. Especially in Scottsdale and Indianapolis, places where I don’t think I know a single person within a hundred miles, and it's sad and lonely to stand in front of an empty room, talking. So if you have any friends, relatives, or even nonviolent enemies in these areas, please encourage them to come: 
NYC: Wednesday March 12, 6:00 p.m.: Barnes & Noble Tribeca, 97 Warren St
MADISON CT: Thursday Marsh 13, 7:00 p.m.: RJ Julia, 768 Boston Post Rd
WASHINGTON DC: Friday March 14, 7:00 p.m.: Politics & Prose, 5015 Connecticut Ave NW
CORTE MADERA CA: Sunday March 16, 4:00 p.m.: Book Passage, 51 Tamal Vista Blvd
PASADENA CA: Monday March 17, 7:00 p.m. Vroman’s Bookstore, 695 E Colorado Blvd
LA JOLLA CA: Tuesday March 18, 7:30 p.m.: Warwick’s, 7812 Girard Ave
SCOTTSDALE AZ: Wednesday March 19, 7:00 p.m., with Olen Steinhauer: Poisoned Pen, 4014 N Goldwater Blvd
AUSTIN TX: Thursday March 20, 7:00 p.m.: Book People, 603 N Lamar Blvd
LONDON UK: Monday March 24: Apple Store Regent Street, 235 Regent St
BRUSSELS BE: Wednesday March 26, 7:00 p.m.: Sterling Books, Wolvengracht 38 Fossé aux Loups
PARIS FR: Thursday March 27, 6:00 p.m.: WH Smith, 248, rue de Rivoli
VERO BEACH FL: Thursday April 3 6:00 p.m.: Vero Beach Book Center, 392 21st St
DELTONA FL: Friday April 4, 12:30 p.m.: Deltona Regional Library, 2150 Eustace Ave
ORLANDO FL: Saturday April 5, 1:00 p.m.: UCF Book Festival
GREENWICH CT: Tuesday April 8, 7:00 p.m., with Olen Steinhauer: Greenwich Library, 101 W Putnam
NYC: Wednesday April 9 6:30 p.m.: New York Public Library, 455 5th Ave
INDIANAPOLIS IN: Friday April 25, 10:30 a.m.: Christamore House Luncheon, Indiana Roof Ballroom,140 W Washington St
NYC: Friday May 2, 3:00 p.m.: Summer Reading Panel, Random House Open House, 1745 Broadway
Many thanks,
Chris

 

No comments: