Saturday, July 27, 2013

I Won't Post Video of Amateur Actor/Teacher's Mock Chippendale Routine in Review: Campbell Brown Might See It

Sometimes people take off their shirts, and I don't personally see anything awfully wrong with that. It's certainly not grounds for dismissal... NYC Educator.
Paranoia will destroya.

Guilty!

I taped the wonderful Rockaway Theatre Company's review, "Rockaway
Cafe: The Comeback" a moving performance of storm-related and uplifting songs, many with exquisite dance routines. There are many NYC teachers involved in the RTC, which is led by two retired teachers and most of the band teach at a NYC high school.

One of the young teacher/actors was part of a group of 3 bare-chested male dancers performing a mock Chippendale's stripper routine. I immediately thought, given stories like these, the hundreds of DOE lawyers trying to justify their jobs scouring the world for anything teachers might do in private life that could be used against them for a witch hunt trial might just glom onto this.

After the show the teacher asked me what I thought. "That could get you fired," I told him and another teacher-performer, both young and in the system for less than 10 years. I said I was going to put up the entire video, but not for public consumption. (Though I will put up individual numbers.)

They looked at me like I was nuts. "Not for doing that," his female companion said. Both are wonderful, top-level teachers in decent schools and loved by their students and their administration. It is beyond their conception. "You don't know how nuts they are in the DOE," I said.

I hate to be the Grinch and maybe the chances of this happening are infinitesimal but being an activist in World War T keeps you looking over your shoulder.

Besides, Campbell Brown might just be at the beach in Riis Park and wander into the theater. Which by the way, you all should do too. Get tickets here: http://www.rockawaytheatrecompany.org/lorem-ipsum-event1/

Afterburn
NYC Educator reported on this the other day.
Apparently a teacher in Merrick, Long Island appeared shirtless in some stupid reality show, and resigned under pressure from administration. The News appears sympathetic to his cause, as am I. Sometimes people take off their shirts, and I don't personally see anything awfully wrong with that. It's certainly not grounds for dismissal.

1 comment:

reality-based educator said...

Maybe the shirtless guy can run for mayor, comptroller, senator from Louisiana or congressman from South Carolina.