An article about this letter was in today's Daily News. Excerpt: "We are being oversaturated with charter schools," said Tesa Wilson, president Community Education Council in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. "It's tax dollars being poured into a black hole with no accountability."It's time SUNY is held accountable for its reckless and politically motivated charter school approval process.
We, the undersigned members of the New York City (NYC) Council, oppose any further expansion of charter schools, urging you to hold off on authorizing new charter schools, until you address the lack of oversight and accountability in this rapidly growing sector.
- Examination of harsh discipline practices;
- High teacher and student attrition rates;
- Exclusionary admissions practices, as witnessed by the significantly reduced percentage of students with special needs, English Language Learners and over-the-counter students, as compared to district averages;
- Discriminatory marketing practices, which include marketing materials only in English as well as marketing to specific groups of individuals;
- Lack of transparency with how public dollars are being spent;
- Parent handbooks and school policies not being made publicly available; and
- The practice of shutting schools down to engage in political activity.