Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Destination: Wedding in Turks and Caicos

Anything better than a wedding in flip flops?

I know you didn't miss me. We got back last night from our cousin's wedding in Turks and Caicos, a place I've never been, nor had a clear idea where it was - it is a few islands sort of between Haiti/DR and Cuba but north of them. Did we need to land at Kennedy and find wet, 50 degree weather? Thanks for great pals Joel and Shelly for picking us up.


We were there for parts of 5 days on talcum powder (choral) beaches with a bathtub warm ocean and so many pools and restaurants at this all in one resort. 96 people came, a tribute to the popularity of bride and groom, Margo and Jared. There were pre ceremony and post ceremony parties that still may be going on.

There was also an interesting cultural mix. Lots of people in their 30s and lots in their 60s. And Jared is Jewish and Margo is Italian/Columbian. I love non-homogeneous events. It was so interesting meeting her family for the first time and looking forward to seeing more of them.

I never thought much about destination weddings before, but now I see how they make sense. People don't just hang out for a few hours but a few days and many bonds are formed. So much went on that I wouldn't know how to even start writing about it. People dancing in the kiddy pool, amazing meals at 17 restaurants  - no reservations, no paying, just eating, too much drinking (and other stuff). We hung out a lot with Carol's brother Dave and sister-in-law Valerie. We also went out to eat with 15 people.

And the people who work at Beaches resort in Providencia are amazing -- treat everyone with dignity and patience without being obsequious.

(And another cousin is getting married at the end of the month - but the destination is Long Island.)

So let a few pics tell the story.



On way to final hour on beach Mon morn, look who we ran into

Brother Dan getting the rings ready - slight glitch


Brother and Best Man Dan with Jared and Margo




Margo's family

Jared's family

I finally got to wear my Tommy Bahama shirt

2 comments:

Susan Ohanian said...

Hey Norm,
Great shirt!
Susan O.

ed notes online said...

Thanks Susan. My Tommy Bahama shirt I got on sale in Florida and my wife doesn't want me to wear too often because it has to be dry cleaned.