Over the years we have had an AFT takeover of the United Teachers of Dade and the Broward Teachers Union, followed by a Florida Education Association takeover of the Palm Beach County Classroom Teachers Association. But it must be getting too cold at AFT headquarters this winter, so union administrators headed south to oversee the Orange County Classroom Teachers Association because it is in “a serious state of dysfunction.” .... EIA, Feb. 2015.
The Florida Education Association believes local president Diana Moore and her supporters are “coalescing control of the union in themselves at the unfortunate cost of a democratic union.”.... Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, HaBoy, ya think the same charges can be made against Unity Caucus and MulGarten here in NYC?
Mike Ianucci is on the Florida case - I like his stuff even if it is anti-union libertarianism-based - I hung out with Mike at the press table at the 2004 AFT convention in Washington DC. At that convention we began to hear about dissidence between the AFT and the teacher union in Puerto Rico - I remember a leaflet being given out. Mike began to report on events there, as I did. Puerto Rican Teachers Union (FMPR) and the AFT
AFT takeover stories of locals since they involve some levels of goonism. I chronicled takeovers in Oregon and Puerto Rico over the years. Here are some links to the Oregon nurses union story.
- AFT Takeover Sanctioned By US Labor Department
- Oct 21, 2009
- That same evening, the Oregon Federation of Nurses and Health Professionals had scheduled a special membership meeting to consider disaffiliating from AFT by amending its constitution. Union representatives feared they ...
- Ed Notes Online: AFT Hack Attack on Portland Local 5017
- Jul 13, 2009
- The officers and board of the Oregon Federation of Nurses and Health Professionals made the fatal mistake of planning to hold a meeting in July – something contrary to the union's bylaws. On the agenda was whether to ask ...
- Labor Dept. Rules Randi Take Over of Nurses' Union Illegal
- Aug 25, 2010
- Last year we reported on how Randi Weingarten sent in the AFT goons to invade the offices of a nurses local in Portland Oregon after they held a meeting to discuss disaffiliation from the AFT (see below for links). We had ...
- Randi Goes to Portland As AFT Threatens Local Considering
Posted: 12 Jun 2015 11:47 AM PDTBack in February, the American Federation of Teachers sent a monitor to oversee the operations of the Orange County Classroom Teachers Association in Florida due to “a serious state of dysfunction.”
Now the AFT executive council has reportedly voted unanimously to conduct a hearing into whether to establish a trusteeship over the troubled local.
The Florida Education Association believes local president Diana Moore and her supporters are “coalescing control of the union in themselves at the unfortunate cost of a democratic union.”
If that’s the standard then there will be an awful lot more trusteeships to come.
For her part, Moore is challenging the action, claiming it is based on “bias and defamation of my character.”