If you have suggestions email me or comment here.
Here is my agenda for Consultation Committee. It was created as a way to fight back against the ridiculous amount of paperwork required of classroom teachers. Please share it with any chapter leader who is interested. If anyone has more suggestions for me, I welcome them. Thanks.
1. “Mandated” Paper Work
- No consultation with teachers
In light of the paperwork that is deemed excessive and redundant by staff members yet “mandated” by administration, we must take time to review all “mandates” and adhere to them as well.
3. SAVE Room (Mandated by NYS Law – failure to comply will result in complaints filed with appropriate agencies in NYS)
4. Student Removal Process (Mandated by NYS Law as well as Teachers’ Collective Bargaining Agreement with the City of NY)
- Violent students: such students will be immediately sent to the principal (or her designee) and students may not be returned to class until the principal has a conference with each teacher. Reminder: when such students are sent to the principals office they must be supervised by someone other than a secretary)
- Removal of students that substantially disrupt the education process: Principal must respond to teachers request in a reasonable amount of time.
- Must be present at open doors at all times
- Teachers are coming in early and staying late with no security to protect them
6. Adequate Supplies (Article 7R – Teachers’ Contract)
- Staples, pens, pencils, post its (needed for writers’ workshop)
- Paper (for rubrics and process statements)
- Chalk or dry erase markers
- Plastic sheets for overhead projector
- All necessary materials needed for all bulletin boards
- Copy of NYS standards for each teacher to adequately prepare her lessons
8. New Teacher Mentoring: Who’s accountable for explaining EClass? With so many new early grade teachers…. why were mentors unfamiliar with EClass or “workshop” model hired to help train?
9. Tutoring: ALL teachers must participate in tutoring. Why were some teachers allowed to arrange their schedule as to avoid the tutorial period at the end of the day?